Yield10 Bioscience, Inc. is an agricultural bioscience company that is using its differentiated trait gene discovery platform, the “Trait Factory”, to develop improved Camelina varieties for the production of proprietary seed products, and to discover high value genetic traits for the agriculture and food industries. Our goals are to efficiently establish a high value seed products business based on developing superior varieties of Camelina to produce feedstock oils, nutritional oils, and PHA bioplastics, and to license our yield traits to major seed companies for commercialization in major row crops, including corn, soybean and canola. Yield10 is headquartered in Woburn, MA and has an Oilseeds Center of Excellence, Yield10 Oilseeds, located in Saskatoon, Canada.
Yield10 is searching for a Scientist, Molecular Breeding for our Saskatoon site. The successful candidate will implement rapid breeding schemes in the company’s Camelina breeding program. This position is anticipated to provide rich opportunities for professional development.
- Utilize novel breeding and molecular strategies for rapid development of new and improved varieties of Camelina adapted for different regions of North America
- Perform all steps of selections using genomic, phenotypic and environmental data for new variety development. Perform disease screening and quality control
- Evaluate elite varieties in accordance with requirements for plant variety registrations. Assist with the applications for plant breeders’ rights
- Manage accessions, germplasm and seed inventory of parental lines and filial generations
- Manage day to day activities of company’s breeding greenhouse and actively participate in field testing of varieties
- Ensure all activities are carried out according to health and safety guidelines, standard operating protocols, breeding protocols and other external regulations. Participate in the development and improvement of all the related processes as required.
- Ph.D. in Molecular Breeding or Quantitative Genetics or a Master’s degree in Agriculture or related discipline with demonstrated experience in Molecular Breeding for a minimum of 5 years
- Breeding experience in an oilseed crop and polyploid genomes preferably in a commercial breeding program. Some experience with Camelina and winter crops is preferred
- Expertise in development and application of molecular markers for rapid breeding
- Demonstrated experience in managing greenhouse breeding research
- Competence in statistics for molecular breeding design and data analyses
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capability to work well across a team of greenhouse researchers, molecular biologists, field managers and business development team
- Must be willing to travel to nurseries and field sites in US and Canada. Estimate up to 30% travel time
- Skills in advance database management is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in writing and oral presentations
Yield10 Bioscience, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer offering excellent career opportunities as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please forward your resume with a cover letter and the contact names of three references to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.